When you bought your home, you offered less than you were willing to pay, right? That’s the most common negotiation technique. For experienced investors, however, that’s just one technique among the many more powerful ones. What else can you do?
How To Make An Offer
1. Offer an odd amount, like $161,793. This gives the impression that you know something the seller doesn’t. They may think you have a good reason for that particular price.
2. Play dumb. Ask questions, talk slow, ask for help, and never show off your real estate expertise. Sellers are afraid to budge if they think a smarter person may be taking advantage of them.
3. Use the “limited authority” ploy. Say “I’ll have to check with my wife (or partner).” It’s easier for sellers to accept that you can’t do something, rather than the idea that you won’t.
4. Refer to precedent. “My father bought his house this way.” If the offer is at all unusual, sellers will feel more comfortable if they know it has been done that way before.
5. Ask for things you don’t want. This lets the seller win concessions when negotiating. If you can say, “I guess I don’t need the refrigerator, if I can get my price,” you’re more likely to get your price.
6. Be reluctant. “well, I don’t know…” Reluctance gets the seller looking for ways to motivate you, and lets him feel like he’s won something when you settle the point.
7. Make the offer their idea. “Are you saying you’d like a later closing, and more earnest money? Well let’s do it your way, then. I just need…”
8. Get a yes before the offer. “What if I paid your price, but got my terms? Would that work for you?” Even with a few changes, it will be hard for the seller to say no to an offer he more or less already agreed to.
9. Flatter the seller. Flattery has been proven to be worth an average of $1962 in real estate negotiations. That’s a joke, by the way, but you know if he likes you, you’ll probably get a better deal.
10. Pass over problems, and return to them later. Agree on every agreeable point first. It will feel like the house is sold then, and it will be difficult for a seller to lose the deal over an issue or two that you need to go in your favor.
You can spend a lot of time looking for cheap houses. Why not spend a little time learning how to purchase every home for less, with some smart negotiation?
'The attention to detail and professionalism that Troy and his staff brings to our contract drafting process is unmatched. It’s a rare occurrence to find a law firm that cares as much about your legal protection as you do. But, Doucet Gerling is that law firm."
Mr. Doucet and his staff handled two foreclosures and a related matter for me. I found everyone in his office to be professional, effective and responsive. Everything he handled for me got me the results I expected. I highly recommend Doucet Gerling.
As an attorney and former client of Doucet Gerling, I was very impressed with the representation of Troy Doucet and his firm. I would recommend him to all who face difficulty in saving their home or getting cooperation with their mortgage companies.
If you need legal assistance regarding foreclosure, I urge you to consider putting your complete trust in Doucet Gerling. They will employ their vast knowledge and expertise on your behalf and work to attain a great outcome for your individual needs and situation.
"Troy Doucet is one of the most gifted attorneys that we have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He treated us with kindness and generosity. We were most impressed with his integrity and high sense of duty to us. If you are looking for an attorney to get the job done we highly recommend Troy Doucet. Our family can never thank him enough for getting our foreclosure problem solved."
My company has worked with multiple law firms in the past, but none have come close to matching the quality we are seeing from Doucet & Associates. If you want an attorney who has a deep understanding of both the legal system AND business, hire them – you won’t be disappointed.
"Mr. Doucet worked wonders in my case. He stood up for me when I felt overwhelmed and helpless and kept my credit rating and future intact. Thanks you so much for helping me and my family."
"My family and I would like to send a thank you with sincere gratitude for all the time, hard work, and long hours set a side daily to represent and speak on our behalf during a very challenging time in our life. Our success is a reflect of your commitment. Thank you Troy Doucet & law firm."