Are high-profit real estate deals only for the wealthy? Is it possible to buy with no money down? Do you really have to know the “right” people? Let’s answer by looking at some of the myths of real estate.
1. The good real estate deals are reserved for the wealthy. Of course money helps, but my first deal was a $3,500 lot – which I sold for a profit two weeks after I bought it. Smaller deals, using partners, low-down deals, or just putting aside $7 per day for a couple years until you have enough money for a downpayment – these are some of the ways to start with a little and invest in real estate.
2. “Zero down” isn’t possible. I sold a rental property for $1,000 down because I trusted the buyer, and I wanted the 9% interest and higher price. A cash-advance on a credit card for the $1,000 ($30 per month payments) would have made it a “zero down” deal. “Zero down” means none of YOUR money down, and yes, it happens.
3. “No money down” is the best way. When you don’t invest some of your own money, you have higher payments. You also spend more time finding suitable properties, and pay more for them (cooperative sellers naturally want more profit for their cooperation). There are zero-down deals out there – they just aren’t always worth doing.
4. You need a lot of experience. It helps, but you get it by investing. Start with common sense, be willing to learn the numbers, and you can start where you are.
5. Good investors have a “knack” for making money. Well, sort of. But more accurately, they just took the time and risk to learn the market and to continue their education.
6. You have to know the “right” people. This is another partly true myth. It does help, so why not start the process? Talk to other investors, real estate agents, landlords, etc.
7. Great negotiating skills are necessary. Negotiating skills help with real estate deals? Of course, but learn to run the numbers and make offers based on them, and you can be the worst negotiator and still do okay.
8. You have to have insider knowledge. Insider, outsider, whatever. You do need knowledge, but understand one deal, and you are on your way. Study, and study more, but the best “insider” knowledge comes from experience.
9. Fixer-uppers are the safest way to go. Poorly planned “fix and flips” have bankrupted even experienced investors. Most poorly purchased rental properties will only eat a little money every month, and grow in value over time. Fixer uppers are for making money faster, not more safely.
10. You need to make lowball offers. Low offers may help, but the numbers have to work, and you need a plan. You can offer MORE than the market price and make money investing in real estate. Just learn how to run the numbers before you do any real estate deals.
'The attention to detail and professionalism that Troy and his staff brings to our contract drafting process is unmatched. It’s a rare occurrence to find a law firm that cares as much about your legal protection as you do. But, Doucet Co. LPA is that law firm."
Mr. Doucet and his staff handled two foreclosures and a related matter for me. I found everyone in his office to be professional, effective and responsive. Everything he handled for me got me the results I expected. I highly recommend Doucet Co., LPA.
As an attorney and former client of Doucet Co., LPA, I was very impressed with the representation of Troy Doucet and his firm. I would recommend him to all who face difficulty in saving their home or getting cooperation with their mortgage companies.
If you need legal assistance regarding foreclosure, I urge you to consider putting your complete trust in Doucet Gerling. They will employ their vast knowledge and expertise on your behalf and work to attain a great outcome for your individual needs and situation.
"Troy Doucet is one of the most gifted attorneys that we have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He treated us with kindness and generosity. We were most impressed with his integrity and high sense of duty to us. If you are looking for an attorney to get the job done we highly recommend Troy Doucet. Our family can never thank him enough for getting our foreclosure problem solved."
My company has worked with multiple law firms in the past, but none have come close to matching the quality we are seeing from Doucet & Associates. If you want an attorney who has a deep understanding of both the legal system AND business, hire them – you won’t be disappointed.
"Mr. Doucet worked wonders in my case. He stood up for me when I felt overwhelmed and helpless and kept my credit rating and future intact. Thanks you so much for helping me and my family."
"My family and I would like to send a thank you with sincere gratitude for all the time, hard work, and long hours set a side daily to represent and speak on our behalf during a very challenging time in our life. Our success is a reflect of your commitment. Thank you Troy Doucet & law firm."