The many ways of making money with real estate include not only the various types of property. Of course you can make money with land, apartment buildings, homes, commercial buildings and more. But with whatever type of real estate, there are different ways you’ll make your profits. Some of those ways, and how to maximize them, are listed below.
1. Pay-down on the loan. Equity builds with every payment you make. If you get the lowest interest rate you can, more of each payment will go towards the principal.
2. Cash flow. Buy income property the right way, and you not only have your tenants paying all the costs and paying down the mortgage loan, but you also have positive cash flow. As a rule, just don’t buy properties without cash flow.
3. Value appreciation. Sometimes making money with real estate can be as simple as holding on and waiting. For the most appreciation in value, however, you should buy in an area where demand is growing faster than the supply.
4. Tax depreciation. After all the tax law changes, you still get to declare a loss for depreciation that doesn’t really exist. Saving at tax time, means more after-tax profit. To maximize this, buy property that has its value primarily in the buildings, because you can’t depreciate the value of land.
5. Get instant equity by buying low. Buy below market and you get instant equity that will be converted into a profit when you sell. Offer a reason for the seller to sell low: fast closing, cash, assume some debts or liabilities, etc. Alternately, just make a low offer. A seller may have his own reasons to sell it cheap.
6. Selling high. If you clean it up nice, make it easy to buy, and find the right buyer, you’ll get top dollar. The following four on the list cover ways to create value, so you’ll get more when you sell.
7. Finance the sale. You’ll often get substantially more for a property if you offer financing. This is especially true if you let someone buy it with little money down. You can also get good interest on the loan.
8. Changing the use. Find a higher use for the property, and you can convert it to make it worth more to the next owner. This could mean making condos into apartments, or apartments into condos. Perhaps converting a home into office space will get the biggest return.
9. Improve and repair. Repairing anything that needs it is obvious, but you need to look creatively and carefully to find improvements to make. Concentrate only on those that will raise the value several times more than what they cost you.
10. Sell it in parts. Sometimes in real estate, the parts are worth more than the whole. For example, splitting off an extra lot to sell for $30,000 will rarely decrease the value of a home by that much, so you’ll make more money in the end.
Look at the sources of profit listed here, and think of how you can use a few of them on your next real estate investment. You can get wonderfully creative making money with real estate.
'The attention to detail and professionalism that Troy and his staff brings to our contract drafting process is unmatched. It’s a rare occurrence to find a law firm that cares as much about your legal protection as you do. But, Doucet Gerling is that law firm."
Mr. Doucet and his staff handled two foreclosures and a related matter for me. I found everyone in his office to be professional, effective and responsive. Everything he handled for me got me the results I expected. I highly recommend Doucet Gerling.
As an attorney and former client of Doucet Gerling, I was very impressed with the representation of Troy Doucet and his firm. I would recommend him to all who face difficulty in saving their home or getting cooperation with their mortgage companies.
If you need legal assistance regarding foreclosure, I urge you to consider putting your complete trust in Doucet Gerling. They will employ their vast knowledge and expertise on your behalf and work to attain a great outcome for your individual needs and situation.
"Troy Doucet is one of the most gifted attorneys that we have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He treated us with kindness and generosity. We were most impressed with his integrity and high sense of duty to us. If you are looking for an attorney to get the job done we highly recommend Troy Doucet. Our family can never thank him enough for getting our foreclosure problem solved."
My company has worked with multiple law firms in the past, but none have come close to matching the quality we are seeing from Doucet & Associates. If you want an attorney who has a deep understanding of both the legal system AND business, hire them – you won’t be disappointed.
"Mr. Doucet worked wonders in my case. He stood up for me when I felt overwhelmed and helpless and kept my credit rating and future intact. Thanks you so much for helping me and my family."
"My family and I would like to send a thank you with sincere gratitude for all the time, hard work, and long hours set a side daily to represent and speak on our behalf during a very challenging time in our life. Our success is a reflect of your commitment. Thank you Troy Doucet & law firm."