Whenever any buyer invests in land he has different questions in mind: whether I will my title cleared? Is this land disputed? Am I being a part of any fraudulent activity? and others…
There have been London Land Scams, Kent Land Scams and Sussex Land Scams in the past but land scams are no more common than other types of real estate fraud. Where there is money to be made fleecing the greedy, the ignorant, or the just plain lazy, con men are sure to follow.
This isn’t what is commonly meant by land fraud. Here are some real examples:
– Selling worthless land, in other words land without development potential, and claiming it has great value, the classic being land underwater but also land on the sides of cliff faces, under bridge abutments, and in the medians of highways.
– Promising land buyers development amenities like golf courses, community centers, and tennis courts that will never be built.
– Promising land buyers subdivision improvements like sewers, street lights, sidewalks, even roads knowing none will ever be built.
– Making false representations to buyers about the value of their land, especially claiming that lots bought today will skyrocket in value.
– Vague descriptions on deeds which allow the land promoter to sell the same land to multiple buyers at the same time.
– Illegal or unapproved subdivisions, especially where land has not been properly platted and permits granted.
– Selling land where clear title cannot be transferred, for example, selling land you don’t own and masquerading as the real owner through the use of forged documents and fake IDs.
– Reserving mineral, water, and other land rights without disclosing this important fact to buyers at the time of sale.
– Using high pressure and unscrupulous tactics to sell land, especially misrepresenting a buyer’s legal rights to cancel an agreed upon sale.
– Selling land of marginal value for excessive prices, especially through the use of easy credit terms ($5 down, $50 a month).
– Selling land where defects such as environmental contamination are known but not disclosed or failing to tell buyers material facts which would ultimately diminish the sale price of the land.
'The attention to detail and professionalism that Troy and his staff brings to our contract drafting process is unmatched. It’s a rare occurrence to find a law firm that cares as much about your legal protection as you do. But, Doucet Gerling is that law firm."
Mr. Doucet and his staff handled two foreclosures and a related matter for me. I found everyone in his office to be professional, effective and responsive. Everything he handled for me got me the results I expected. I highly recommend Doucet Gerling.
As an attorney and former client of Doucet Gerling, I was very impressed with the representation of Troy Doucet and his firm. I would recommend him to all who face difficulty in saving their home or getting cooperation with their mortgage companies.
If you need legal assistance regarding foreclosure, I urge you to consider putting your complete trust in Doucet Gerling. They will employ their vast knowledge and expertise on your behalf and work to attain a great outcome for your individual needs and situation.
"Troy Doucet is one of the most gifted attorneys that we have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He treated us with kindness and generosity. We were most impressed with his integrity and high sense of duty to us. If you are looking for an attorney to get the job done we highly recommend Troy Doucet. Our family can never thank him enough for getting our foreclosure problem solved."
My company has worked with multiple law firms in the past, but none have come close to matching the quality we are seeing from Doucet & Associates. If you want an attorney who has a deep understanding of both the legal system AND business, hire them – you won’t be disappointed.
"Mr. Doucet worked wonders in my case. He stood up for me when I felt overwhelmed and helpless and kept my credit rating and future intact. Thanks you so much for helping me and my family."
"My family and I would like to send a thank you with sincere gratitude for all the time, hard work, and long hours set a side daily to represent and speak on our behalf during a very challenging time in our life. Our success is a reflect of your commitment. Thank you Troy Doucet & law firm."