No real estate investor ever gets beyond the reach of problems. Every investor faces personal and professional problems. The problems come in all shapes and sizes. They can be business-related, financial, physical, or emotional. Although no one escapes problems, your perception of the problem will determine your response to the problem.
Unfortunately, no one has a magical formula to deal with them. You can, however, implement certain principles to help you succeed. At first blush, these principles may seem over simplified, but don’t underestimate their power. If you choose to use them, you’ll reap a harvest of achievement that will far surpass your efforts. Here’s five ways to solve your problems.
1. Be Responsible. When something goes wrong, when you have a problem, it is only natural to think immediately of who made it go wrong, who is to blame for the problem. Most often this makes the problem worse. The person blamed, in order to exonerate himself or herself, promptly finds someone else to lay the blame on or with whom to share the responsibility for failure. It frequently turns into a shouting match of exchanged accusations. “It’s all your fault…. “You did…..” “Yes, but you said…..” All too familiar dialogue, isn’t it?
Don’t blame your problem on others. Accept responsibility for your actions. It’s not what happens to you that matters. It’s your response to what happens to you that matters. The consequences of your actions and choices are yours. Choose wisely.
2. Be Proactive. The worst thing you can do when dealing with a problem is nothing! The world is full of people with great intentions. Take action. Successful investors are not necessarily those who make the right decisions all the time when trying to solve a problem. No one can do that. But once you have made a decision to do something, you will begin to attract the people and things you need to conquer your problem.
Your ability to attract the people and things with the right solution may not make sense to some of you. Honestly, I don’t fully understand it myself, but it works for me and it will work for you. I really don’t understand how a black cow can eat green grass, and produce white milk and yellow butter, but it happens. I don’t understand how it happens, but that doesn’t keep me from having butter – and I have the waistline to prove it. So don’t let your lack of understanding sabotage your willingness to solve the problem. Take action.
3. Re-Act. Take charge over your inner-voice. Something in all of us wants to do what’s convenient rather than what’s necessary. It’s easier and so natural to be negative rather than positive. The voice inside you will tell you why you can’t solve your problem and why you don’t deserve to solve it. You cannot solve your problem without some change in your perception of the problem.
So how do you change your perception?
Change your thinking and change how you act. As simple as it sounds, changing your attitude toward the problem will change your perception of the problem. A change in your perception will trigger a change in how you act. So you will solve your problem by re-acting. That is, acting differently. In a positive way, of course.
4. Believe in yourself. Sometimes you are your own biggest problem, when you allow your fears and self-doubt to stand in the way of your success. A critical step to conquering a problem is to realize that the answer lies within you. Maturity and experience will give you the confidence that you can overcome any impediment.
Problems are an asset Problems are character builders. Improvements I’ve made in my life and in my business were the result of problems.
5. Wear Your Knees Out. If there were one sustainable remedy I could offer you when the going gets tough, it would be prayer. Many people, depending on their faith, might call it meditation. It doesn’t matter to me what you call it, as long as you have a place to run to. Mahatma Gandhi said, “Religions are crossroads converging upon the point.” Well, I don’t often discuss religion, and I don’t know what works for you; but Christianity is the way I know. However, I am sensitive enough to respect your faith. My whole point is that when everything else fails, prayer works!
A problem can become your breaking point if you let it become the one thing that defeats you. Alternatively, a problem can become your turning point if you choose to take action to defeat the problem. You will never realize what heights you can reach in real estate investing or in your life until you stop blaming reality for what happens to you as you go through it.
Thomas Paine said, “The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; ‘Tis dearness only that gives everything its value.” In the thick of the fight to overcome a problem, you may not believe it, but the more problems you conquer, the easier the process becomes. Your confidence will be self-perpetuating, and you may come to believe you can conquer a whole range of “mountains.”
'The attention to detail and professionalism that Troy and his staff brings to our contract drafting process is unmatched. It’s a rare occurrence to find a law firm that cares as much about your legal protection as you do. But, Doucet Co. LPA is that law firm."
Mr. Doucet and his staff handled two foreclosures and a related matter for me. I found everyone in his office to be professional, effective and responsive. Everything he handled for me got me the results I expected. I highly recommend Doucet Co., LPA.
As an attorney and former client of Doucet Co., LPA, I was very impressed with the representation of Troy Doucet and his firm. I would recommend him to all who face difficulty in saving their home or getting cooperation with their mortgage companies.
If you need legal assistance regarding foreclosure, I urge you to consider putting your complete trust in Doucet Gerling. They will employ their vast knowledge and expertise on your behalf and work to attain a great outcome for your individual needs and situation.
"Troy Doucet is one of the most gifted attorneys that we have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He treated us with kindness and generosity. We were most impressed with his integrity and high sense of duty to us. If you are looking for an attorney to get the job done we highly recommend Troy Doucet. Our family can never thank him enough for getting our foreclosure problem solved."
My company has worked with multiple law firms in the past, but none have come close to matching the quality we are seeing from Doucet & Associates. If you want an attorney who has a deep understanding of both the legal system AND business, hire them – you won’t be disappointed.
"Mr. Doucet worked wonders in my case. He stood up for me when I felt overwhelmed and helpless and kept my credit rating and future intact. Thanks you so much for helping me and my family."
"My family and I would like to send a thank you with sincere gratitude for all the time, hard work, and long hours set a side daily to represent and speak on our behalf during a very challenging time in our life. Our success is a reflect of your commitment. Thank you Troy Doucet & law firm."