House Flipping – What to Look for When Walking a Property
1 Price – Before you even go to look at the property you need to make sure that the price is way below the market value of the real estate in that area otherwise you are wasting your time looking at properties that you cannot make any money on. So you need to make sure it is so far below the price of other house that you can fix it up, hold it, and pay fees and commission and still make a huge profit.
2. Foundation – I buy and sell real estate in Texas and foundation is a huge problem here, and it is the first thing I look at. If there is foundation damage you need to see how much this is going to cost to have fixed. Many times when I am looking at a property I can call my foundation guy and he will come out and give me a free quote on the spot. Foundation damage can drain a budget so until you are comfortable with you skills at judging the amount of foundation damage call a pro for a quote and then factor that in your budget. When looking on the outside and inside of the house you are looking for cracks above windows, along brick mortar, over doors, and in corners, and many times you can feel the foundation sinking in certain areas of the house. Be sure to walk to the corners on the rooms and you will be able to tell if the piers have sank.
3. Roof – Next I check the roof by counting the layers of shingles. Normally if there is over 2 layers of shingles you are going to need to replace the roof. Also, as you are walking through the inside of the house look up at the ceiling and look for water spots. This is also a huge indicator that you are going to need to replace a roof. Your foundation and roof are normally you 2 biggest expenses.
4. Walls – Look for holes or damaged sheet rock that is going to need to be replaced. Drywall is cheap and not a big deal, but does cause a lot of buyers to run away from the property. I love houses with holes kicked in all the walls. Holes = Money
5. Electrical – Look at condition of breaker box. If you are going to add something like a A/C unit you might have to upgrade the electrical, so you need to keep that in mind. Next if the power is on to the house you can check the lights and buy a cheap power test that you can plug in a wall to tell you if it has power, and you can get an idea if the electrical has issues in the house.
6. A/C and Heat – Check to see the age and condition of the air conditioning unit in the potential flip so that you can see if you might have to replace them and leave room in the budget if you think you might have to replace the unit.
7. After that cabinets – Look to see if you can use the old ones or if you are going to have to replace them all.
8. Counter Tops
9. Plumbing – Make sure the toilets will flush and water will run. The water heater is normally off so you can’t test it, but you can look to see how old it is, and that will give you a ideal if you are going to have to replace it. See how many faucets, toilets, shower heads, and other plumbing fixtures you might need and factor them in the budget. I normally replace almost all the plumbing fixtures to give the house the new look.
10. Flooring – See how much of the flooring is going to be fixed or replaced. I always if possible refinish my hardwood floors, and put down ceramic tile. If there is no hard wood I will estimate the cost for carpet.
11. Paint – Don’t for get to price paint inside and out
12. Appliances – I normally replace all the appliances, so you need to factor that in as well.
'The attention to detail and professionalism that Troy and his staff brings to our contract drafting process is unmatched. It’s a rare occurrence to find a law firm that cares as much about your legal protection as you do. But, Doucet Gerling is that law firm."
Mr. Doucet and his staff handled two foreclosures and a related matter for me. I found everyone in his office to be professional, effective and responsive. Everything he handled for me got me the results I expected. I highly recommend Doucet Gerling.
As an attorney and former client of Doucet Gerling, I was very impressed with the representation of Troy Doucet and his firm. I would recommend him to all who face difficulty in saving their home or getting cooperation with their mortgage companies.
If you need legal assistance regarding foreclosure, I urge you to consider putting your complete trust in Doucet Gerling. They will employ their vast knowledge and expertise on your behalf and work to attain a great outcome for your individual needs and situation.
"Troy Doucet is one of the most gifted attorneys that we have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. He treated us with kindness and generosity. We were most impressed with his integrity and high sense of duty to us. If you are looking for an attorney to get the job done we highly recommend Troy Doucet. Our family can never thank him enough for getting our foreclosure problem solved."
My company has worked with multiple law firms in the past, but none have come close to matching the quality we are seeing from Doucet & Associates. If you want an attorney who has a deep understanding of both the legal system AND business, hire them – you won’t be disappointed.
"Mr. Doucet worked wonders in my case. He stood up for me when I felt overwhelmed and helpless and kept my credit rating and future intact. Thanks you so much for helping me and my family."
"My family and I would like to send a thank you with sincere gratitude for all the time, hard work, and long hours set a side daily to represent and speak on our behalf during a very challenging time in our life. Our success is a reflect of your commitment. Thank you Troy Doucet & law firm."